This articles guide us on how to set up a monitor to your laptop and modify settings of the display under System Settings.
Materials required to connect a portable external monitor:
1. A laptop
2. Connecting cable (for example, an HDMI cable)
3. Portable external monitor
4. In some cases: an adapter or docking station
How to set up a monitor to a laptop?
1. Determine your laptop’s video output.
- S-Video: Round and black with holes for metal pins
- VGA: An upside-down trapezoid, colored with holes
- HDMI: A six-sided and tapered port available on most Windows laptops
- Display Port: Similar to HDMI orientation but a single corner of the port is cut away
while the others come to a 90-degree angle
- DVI: Rectangular with clusters of holes, white in color
- USB-C: Small, rectangular port used for a wide variety of devices.
2. Determine the portable monitor’s video input.
Note: If the display is an older model, you may find a VGA or DVI port.
3. Ensure your laptop’s connections and monitor’s connections are the same. If not, read on for the
4. Get an adapter cable to bridge the connection.
- Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort
5. Plug in your monitor by attaching it to a power source and connect your laptop to your display. Once
you attach your external display to your laptop with the appropriate cable (or adapter and cable), you
may be required to press some keys on your keyboard for it to function properly. This shortcut key
varies based on the laptop brand you own. Generally, please hold the Fn key while simultaneously
pressing F3, F4, F5, F7, F8. F9, or F10.
How do I change your display preferences in Evren?
1. Once you have an external portable monitor for a laptop connected, Evren should extend your displays
by default. You should simply be able to drag and drop windows and applications between both your
laptop screen and your extra monitor.
2. In some cases, you’ll find that Evren simply mirrors the screen automatically. Unless you are doing a
presentation, you probably wouldn’t want mirrored screens. So, instead, you can change the settings.
3. If displays are not extended by default, you may do it manually by holding the Windows logo key
while simultaneously pressing F3, F4, F5, F7, F8. F9, or F10 (this shortcut key varies based on the
laptop brand you own)
Here are some options you have for setting up your monitors:
- Switch to External Screen: Your main laptop screen will turn black so your external display will be the only functional screen.
- Switch to Laptop Screen: If you choose this option, your computer will only use your laptop screen and turn other portable monitors attached black.
- Unify Outputs: The same actions and images will be shown on both displays
- Extend to Left: Evren extends your screen to the left so you are able to work on two screens at the same time
- Extend to Right: Evren extends your screen to the right so you are able to work on two screens at the same time